Some people call me the “Salad Queen” because I am the maker of all salads in my family. When I was a young girl, my mom and grandmother taught me how to make salad, which quickly became my regular nightly “chore” (which really wasn’t a chore, since I loved doing it!). My husband always laughs, because when he is out of town for work, I look forward to making a huge salad for my dinner! I actually get excited about it!
I love salad because it is the perfect food (if you make it right), balancing protein, fruit and veggies and possibly some carbohydrates. It can be made light or very hearty, satisfying any taste or appetite. Here are a couple of my favorite salads that I make on a regular basis.
Everything But the Kitchen Sink
– 1/2 – 1 head of romaine lettuce (depending on how much you want to make)
– handful of carrots (sliced)
– 1 tomato (chopped)
– 4 artichoke hearts chopped
– small handful of olives (sliced in half)
– 1/4 – 1/2 avocado (diced)
– 4 pepperoncinis (sliced)
– 1/4 cup chopped roasted walnuts or almonds
– 3 oz. chopped chicken
– sprinkle of feta cheese (to taste)
– 2 Tbs olive oil
– 4 Tbs balsamic or red wine vinegar
– pinch of salt and pepper
1. Wash lettuce and tear into pieces and place in large bowl.
2. Place all ingredients and toss to combine. Enjoy!
*You can use any vegetables you have on hand; the ones I listed are what I love and always have in our fridge. You can also use whatever lettuce you prefer.
Strawberry (or any fruit) Walnut and Spinach Salad
– 1 bag of spinach or 1 bunch washed and trimmed
– 1 cup of strawberries (sliced) *(If you don’t have strawberries, you can use peaches, nectarines, raspberries or blackberries)
– 1/4 cup roasted walnuts (chopped) *(Pan-roasted or oven-roasted… it doesn’t matter)
– 1/4 cup feta cheese
– 3 oz. cooked chicken (chopped) *optional (depending on if you are making this a dinner salad)
-2 Tbs. olive oil
– 4 Tbs balsamic, berry or pomegranate vinegar
– pinch of salt
– pinch of pepper)
– 1 tsp. of honey
1. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Enjoy!