TGIF! I’m SO glad it is Friday; it has been quite a week with being sick, still trying to get some good training time in for next week’s competition, as well projects completed for the holidays! Though we have a busy day tomorrow, it will be nice to have some quality family time on Sunday. We are planning to get our Christmas tree this weekend, so Sunday’s agenda is decorating it and baking cookies! Also, I’m excited to start the Advent calendar and “Elf on the Shelf” with Keenan tomorrow!
Today has been a nice lazy day at home. My husband let me sleep in this morning to get some additional rest and boy, did it help! I definitely feel a lot better today. Even though I don’t like using nasal sprays, I gave in and used one last night and it worked wonders! I could breathe and finally get some sleep. I’m hoping with another good night’s rest, I will feel even better tomorrow.
Since it was raining this morning, I thought it was a perfect time to bake cookies, experimenting with almond flour and coconut oil. Keenan was eager to be my “baking assistant,” so he could taste everything, especially the chocolate chips! We had a fun time baking while listening to Christmas music. It was cute, he sat on his step stool and watched the cookies bake (I had the oven light on), the entire 8 minutes! Once the cookies were ready to eat, he was super excited to have one, and another and a half of another one! I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the cookies turned out. They are perfectly moist and flavorful. My husband actually said that they were probably some of the best cookies he has ever eaten…WOW!
Paleo Chocolate Chip Protein Cookies: (makes 2 dozen cookies)
– 2 1/2 cups almond flour
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1 heaping scoop vanilla protein powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 2 tbsp flaxseed
– 1/4 cup Xylitol
– 1/2 cup coconut oil
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 1/4 cup raw honey
– 1/2 – 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (depending on how chocolatey you want your cookies to be)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray nonstick spray on two cookie sheets
2. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Mix wet ingredients together in a small bowl and gently mix into dry ingredients.
4. Add chocolate chips and combine.
5. Form dough into small balls, place onto prepared cookie sheets and press them down.
6. Bake for 7-10 minutes, until lightly browned (but don’t over bake). Let cool and enjoy!
*Notes: These cookies don’t rise and spread out as regular chocolate chip cookies, so make sure to press them down, otherwise the cookies will stay in the shape of a ball.
Now, onto “Friday Favorites!” I love Fridays, because it is a great time to reflect back on the week and think about my favorite moments and things that I ate. I’ve been doing pretty well with living more in the present and cherishing each and every moment, instead of thinking about what I have to do next, but it is still a challenge. Friday Favorites is a nice reminder to slow down and appreciate the little things in my life!
- Keenan enjoying the wonderful taste of homemade whipped cream!
- Cuddling with Keenan and his critters!
- Baking cookies!
- Enjoying some cuddle time with my husband while watching one of our favorite shows, “Parenthood.”
- Spaghetti Squash Tomato Bake with turkey (Mexican style with black beans, spices, salsa and cheddar cheese)
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Protein Cookies
It’s time to work on some more Christmas projects and visit with my brother (he came in last night for a quick visit, since he has some work in the area). No CrossFit again for me today. I’m thinking rest is the best thing until I’m feeling 100%. I’m hoping to fit in a workout tomorrow or Sunday. Have a great afternoon!
Question: What were some of your favorite moments and eats from this week? Any fun holiday plans for the weekend?